[lug] Mount process in uninterruptible sleep

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Tue Jul 17 23:57:17 MDT 2001

Your machine needs to be rebooted. Linux has had similar mount problems in
the kernel all the way back to 1.x (and likely since inception). There are a
number of things that can cause this. My guess would be that the vfat
filesystem choked on the data in your disk image. (Are you sure it's vfat
rather than msdos?)

If this hang can be repeated on the most recent kernel in the series you are
using (2.2 or 2.4), then it would be a good idea to post a message to the
linux-kernel list describing the problem, how to reproduce it, and offer
them access to the data file.

The safest thing to do at this point is to go into single user mode (telinit
1), kill any remaining processes (except init, your shell, the errant mount
command, etc.), then unmount, or remount read-only, all of the filesystems
that you can. You can then try a clean shutdown or reboot, but my bet is
that it will hang and you'll need to press the big red button.

Or you could kill the shell, leave the mount process in its current state
and continue on as if life were normal. But by the time you do get around to
rebooting your machine (months from now, no doubt), you will have forgotten
about the stray mount process and have to hit the big red button with your
disks mounted read/write. fsck, fsck, fsck.