[lug] Possible DOS on CIsco 675

B. O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Fri Jul 20 07:00:14 MDT 2001

Hello,

There are reports (from Slashdot, however reliable that makes them <g>)
that even if the web interface is disabled, the router can still be
killed:

	"There is common belief that disabling the web interface will prevent
this. It's not true; mine's been disabled 		every since this was first
reported a year ago and I still got hit. The problem is that "set web
disable" 			prevents the web server from fiddling the router config, but
doesn't actually stop the server from parsing input 		from port 80,
which is what locks up the box. An improved workaround is to disable the
web-admin interface and 			change its port number with "set web port
53496" (replace with some random port number). At least that'll stop
it 		for the near term."

I know that I had to reboot my Cisco 675 several times yesterday, and I
suspect that this is the reason why because I have never had trouble
with it before.

Apparently the only real solution is to upgrade to the 2.4.1 CBOS. Here
is a link to the upgrade:

	http://www.qwest.com/dsl/customerservice/win675ups.html

Since qwest does not believe in Linux, the upgrade instructions are for
Windows. And if web and telnet access are disable, then the only way to
get to the system is via serial cable. What fun!

B. O'Fallon