[lug] local network

David dajo at frii.com
Sat Jul 21 16:26:18 MDT 2001

   It means the hardware is, for all practical purposes, not even plugged
   into the motherboard. First, you need to know that your kernel has the
   driver for the particular card. What is the card (anything about it you
   know)? Is this an ISA slot card, or PCI? If ISA, is it plug-n-play, or
   jumper set? Do you have your bios set to "o/s is not plug-n-play aware"?
   FYI, "NOT plug-n-play aware" is the good setting.

You led me there in one way and another, thank you.  The "o/s is not
plug-n-play aware"? was a big clue that opened up things.  I have got
both of the ethernet daemons going and I now can ping between
machines.  I still am not able to use rcp or rsh, these hang, and ftp
reports a disallowed connection.  Any ideas?  Can you give me a sample
command?  I may be reading the man pages wrongly.

dajo