[lug] SSH CVS slow on FAT partition

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 24 10:07:06 MDT 2001

Are you running a newer kernel?  I've seen mention of FAT filesystem performance enhancements in the kernel archives.  It may be worth a shot.

Glenn Murray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using ssh to connect to a CVS repository.  I run "cvs update ."
> and it takes 17 seconds under Windoze cygwin, but under Linux it takes
> a long, long time: it's currently taking over 30 minutes.
>
> The working directory is in a Win2K Fat partition, which seems to be
> the source of the problem.  When I update to my Linux partition it
> is snappy.  Just updating a few text files on the Win2K partition
> takes many seconds.
>
> What could be the cause of this?  I have a hard time believing it is
> because of end-of-line conversion.
>
> I am running
> SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
> The server with the repository is running
> SSH Secure Shell 2.4.0 (non-commercial version) on powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn Murray
> www.mines.edu/~glenn/public_html/Welcome.html

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |