[lug] Linux laptop projector woes

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jul 26 01:38:49 MDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:40:21PM -0600, Glenn Murray wrote:
>glaze over.  I'm only interested in finding out some general
>principles for this problem.  Blame it on my

The general principal I use is to always be prepared for the event where
your laptop won't work with the projector...  BLUG actually has quite a
nice projector that seems to be able to deal with pretty much anything that
gets thrown at it.  Unfortunately, that's rarely the case.

Getting a projector to work with a laptop USUALLY requires some dorking
around with refresh rates and resolution.  The cheaper the projector is,
the more likely it is that you'll have issues.  Most of the new higher-end
projectors will handle just about anything you throw at them -- the one
that BLUG is using (Infocus 750?) will even handle my laptop running at
1400x1050, and looks great while doing it...

Some just look crappy no matter what you do.  For example, CLUE uses an
Infocus LitePro 580, which only seems to work with about half of the
machines we try it with, and then it usually looks really bad...

Why does this remind me of that saying "Pray for salvation, but row away
from the rocks."  Pray that the projector will work, but plan for it not
to...

Sean
--
 "I'll thrash you like a Netscape process on a machine with 640K."
                 -- John Shipman, 1998