[lug] Quota issues in 2.4.6

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Fri Jul 27 13:03:01 MDT 2001

I'm trying to set group quotas up on one of my machines and I'm running
into problems. The only documentation I could find was on the "old" way
of setting up quotas so what I have come up with was mostly from
reading the old docs and messing w/ the new quota programs. I started
by doing a 'touch quota.group' in my /home then running 'quotaconvert -
g /home' to change it to 'aquota.group'. I then edited the line in my
fstab for /home to read:
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext2
defaults,grpquota        1 2
After this I went and configured my quotas by using 'edquota -g users'.
I changed it to look like this:
[root at oldschool /home]# edquota -g users
Edit block and inode quota for group users:
Device /dev/hda5 (/home):
Used 0KB, limits: soft=100000 hard=110000
Used 0 inodes, limits: soft=0 hard=0
I tried editing the grace time with 'edquota -t' but whenever I used
the "old" format of setting the grace time in days it would core dump.
So, for now I'm not messing with that.

Once I had this done I rebooted the box. The /var/log/messages showed
this for quota settings after the reboot:
Jul 27 12:11:28 oldschool rc.sysinit: Checking filesystems succeeded
Jul 27 12:11:29 oldschool rc.sysinit: Mounting local filesystems:
succeeded
Jul 27 12:11:29 oldschool quotaon: failed: No such file or directory
Jul 27 12:11:29 oldschool quotaon: You haven't probably converted old
quota fi
les to new ones. See convertquota(8) manpage.
Jul 27 12:11:29 oldschool rc.sysinit: Turning on user and group quotas
for loc
al filesystems:  succeeded

I'm not sure why I'm getting the error about converting the quota
files, cause I already did this :/ I looked thru the stuff in
rc.sysinit related to quotas but could not find anything that would
cause an error like this. Any ideas?

Moving on...
I then went and did a 'repquota -vg /home' and got the following:
[root at oldschool /home]# repquota -vg /home
*** Report for group quotas on device /dev/hda5 (/home)
Block grace time: 7 days; Inode grace time: 7 days
                        Block limits                File limits
User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace
users     --       0  100000  110000              0     0     0

It seems like the quotas are being read but not displaying any of the
already used up space. I read that quotacheck is what you use to scan
the filesystem in order to get the disk usages. I thought after the
reboot this filesystem would have been scanned and the quota file would
have been updated, but obviously it was not. Is there another way to
get the filesystem scanned? I tried using quotacheck manually but could
not get it to work. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong, or what I
could try next? TIA.

Justin

-----
glow at jackmoves.com