[lug] Maps and DLGs and stuff.

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Sun Jul 29 20:14:45 MDT 2001

> nicely for free, though I can't remember which they were (the company I
> worked for wasn't interested in using anything that was free...there was
> a fear level involved). So if you look around for java based support,
> you can probably find it (I might be able to ask someone about it). One
> of the things about many of the commercial products is that they use
> stupid algorithms or bad caching that screws the cache, or just plain
> hogs more memory than it should.

Yeah. I think I wanna avoid Java in this case. I saw one that was based on Grass and Java in Tokyo. Locked up using iMac and NN 4.7

> I had personally considered writing my own for C++ with Apache to use
> the free Tiger data (Tiger is a subset of the U.S. census data, stripped
> for only "interesting" mapping features...e.g., it skipped things like
> household income). I made an import utility to get the basics into
> MySQL, but never went further with it for various reasons. I am curious
> what you are going to create?

Yeah I remember that thread, I was hoping to hear the status on that. Thanks.

I've got a DB with a bunch of geo coords in it and I wanna offer maps of the areas. I've been trying to chop down the tifs from gisdatadepot.com (USGS data) but they are just too big. And if I tried quartering them in GIMP it'll take forever. Well over a thousand maps at that point. I've thought about scripting it here on my machine, quartering them with PHP, but then the upload would be a killer. Not too bad though, as a last resort.

Ultimately I wanna grab the DLGs and DEMs from the DB and parse them in real-time. But as it stands right now I don't have the resources and the site is starting to get hit pretty hard.

Thanks for the reply,

John