[lug] The changing Linux Community was Re: cp and rm

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Aug 2 17:50:20 MDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 05:05:27PM -0600, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 04:58:45PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> >
> > Very few people in the original Linux "community" had any aspirations of
> > "world domination" -- those goals were added by the commercialization of
>
> Well, I was there in Anaheim in December 1997 when Linus gave his
> "World Domination" speech to Usenix. Accompanied by a Pinky and the Brain
> cartoon, I might add. Whether or not he was serious, is of course, open to
> question.

Jobs has given a few of those for Apple too, but merely wishing doesn't
make it so... hehe.

What the heck, he works hard on Linux still -- if he wants it, let him
have it... but comments from him or anyone else about something as
grandiose as world domination should always be taken toungue-in-cheek.

I'd much rather hear a speech by you Evi than Linus any day -- I read
as much stuff as I could about your work with the root nameservers --
that was some useful and interesting work.

Folks like you help keep things REALLY working.

Linus still plays traffic cop on what goes into the kernel and what
doesn't, of course, and provides patches, but some of his techniques in
that regard have come under a lot of fire lately, as well.  I'd rather
run benh's kernels on PowerPC than Linus', that's for sure... but
eventually it all gets back in the same pool...

Multi-arch support is just AMAZING to me in Linux... and Debian's
support of so many of them in their distro floors me even more.  (One of
the reasons I brought my iMac, a Sun Ultra V, and HP brought their
PA-RISC machines to put side-by-side in the Debian booth at the last
CLIQ with the i386 machine... seeing the same base of programs running
side-by-side was just REALLY cool to me...)

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>