[lug] RH7.1 and remote display of X apps

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Aug 22 21:59:39 MDT 2001

Thus spoke Tkil
> xauth is pretty easy.  on an xterm that is connected happily to your
> server, type in:
>
>   xauth list | grep $DISPLAY
>
> you should see something like:
>
>   myhost.mydomain.com:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  deadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeef
>
> open a connection to the remote machine.  (i typically use another
> xterm for this.)  on that machine, type in "xauth add " but don't hit
> return yet.  use your mouse to select the whole line from the previous
> command (in the other window), then paste it into the remote session.
> this should include the return at the end of the line, so it will
> process that.
>
> then you have to set the DISPLAY variable on the remote machine as you
> would normally.  after that, it should just work.  the usual warnings

It doesn't work.  I get the following:

mjhammel(tty4)$ xauth add kepler.graphics-muse.org/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 2a57190fe60f089d6598ae638471d0b7

mjhammel(tty4)$ display
kepler:0

mjhammel(tty4)$ xterm
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

The TCP connection is being rejected by the server for some reason.  I
can't figure out why.

> well, my RH 7.1 (krud 2001-07) box at work is quite happy with xauth,
> so i don't think that's the problem.  it's probably the firewall.

Possibly, though I configured with isinglass the way my 6.2 boxes were set
up (and they allow remote X display).  It still doesn't help.

>    # grep X11 ~tkil/.ssh/config /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>    /home/tkil/.ssh/config:ForwardX11 yes
>    /etc/ssh/sshd_config:X11Forwarding yes
>    /etc/ssh/sshd_config:X11DisplayOffset 10
>
> lovely gratuitous inconsistencies, but oh well.  (also, this is my 6.x
> box here at home -- i don't have a 7.x box handy...)
>
> once you have those values, and restart the sshd on the server side,
> the next connection should automatically set the DISPLAY environment
> variable for the remote shell, and it should work without further
> adjustment.

I tried this too and it doesn't work.  I have two systems:  Feynman (RH6.2)
and Kepler (RH7.1).

If I run

  ssh -X kepler xterm

on Feynman I get an xterm popped up on kepler that is running on kepler.
If I run

  ssh -X feynman xterm

on Kepler, I get "xterm not found".  Changing to

  ssh -X feynman /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

I get "can't open display."  So, one last try:

  ssh -X feynman "/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -display kepler:0"

I'm back to

  _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

There is something funky about this X server configuration, but I'm not
sure where to look next.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com