[lug] looking for TeX viewer/print

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Aug 23 21:30:03 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > I may do this as a postmortem, but I need to print, so I'll be able to
> > try postscript versions through ghostview, but other formats will need a
> > printable version anyway...the LaTeX is an intermediate on the way to
> > print.
>
> OUCH!  LaTeX doesn't really make a good intermediate.  You're usually
> better off making a LaTeX document and then processing that to get to the
> other formats.
>
>       LaTeX ---> dvi ---> postscript
>       LaTeX ---> html
>       LaTeX ---> pdf
>
> going from
>
>    html ---> LaTeX ---> dvi ---> postscript
>
> definitely sounds like the act of a desperate man <sorry>.

I am desparate.

> Heck a resume' "should" be pretty short.  Might be about as quick to hand
> convert the raw html to pure ASCII and then either roll this into a LaTeX
> document or go to the word processor of your choice.  Perhaps the
> formating in the html document could also be fixed so the browser could
> print it too?

It is somewhat short, not as short as it should be, but I don't have
enough accomplishments to leave out much either. I'll probably try some
sort of RTF format, I think LaTeX is too restrictive, and there are no
resume formats that I know of. Plain TeX would be good, but what I lack
is a a WYSIWYG TeX editor (does such a thing even exist?). Better yet, a
WYSIWYG dvi editor (this of course would require some sort of related
setting to display on given hardware...assuming it really is device
independent, WYSIWYG is something of an oxymoron). At this point I'm
looking for the ability to create printed documents, not just electronic
format.

> > I want to solve my printing issues once and for all, rather than
> > having to send out documents to make them printable.
>
> Well ... then start with LaTeX <wink>.

LaTeX seems to require adopting style sheets, something like a DTD in
SGML or XML. There are no style sheets for resume format, so LaTeX is
somewhat of a poor choice for me, unless it is just some intermediate
format. Straight TeX, which does not enforce styles, and is simply
(well, not really simple) a page description language (somewhat like
PostScript), doesn't seem to have any means of composing other than
learning the language and hacking at it with a text editor (this is how
I create my html resumes, with nedit or vi). Unfortunately, I'm not
enough of a whiz with TeX or PS to write a WYSIWYG editor (it'd be
awesome if ghostview was interactive and could be used to compose as
well as view). In any case, I took too long and lost my opportunity this
evening, so it is a moot point for a few more days.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com