[lug] installing linux with NT Dual boot

Terry Branaman terrybn at ustman.com
Thu Aug 30 13:23:29 MDT 2001

Windoze NT boot loaders allow multiple versions of Windoze on the same box;
they just don't like other OSes, though I did get a workaround for this
working at one time. Win2K does support both FAT16 and FAT32, so you should
be OK there - just don't install Win2K into your Win9x \WINDOWS directory.
Install it in its own directory, like \WINNT, or its own partition/drive.

When you install Windoze NT (Win2k is just NT 5), it will overwrite whatever
boot loader is installed (e.g. LILO). Just use your Linux boot floppy to get
into Linux and rerun lilo. When you reboot, if you select your Windoze
option you should then get the NT boot loader, which will allow you to
select either NT or 9x.