[lug] unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address00XXXXXXX

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Sep 1 10:45:13 MDT 2001

John Karns wrote:

> He could also try booting from a rescue disk - either something like toms
> root boot, a floppy made from an image on the RH CD's, or the RH CD
> itself.  I assume that one of the RH CD's is bootable and offers a rescue
> mode boot.

ksymoops is specific not only to the kernel configuration, but to the
order of loading modules. ksymoops and oops output is only relevant to
the exact kernel it is from, so although he could run ksymoops from
another kernel, the output would be completely useless (and completely
wrong). The alternative is to set up a serial console and kdb (the
kernel debugger) to get a stack frame from a second machine at the time
of oops (this should work in most cases, supposedly even if the system
locks up). But trying a more recent kernel is the easiest thing to try
next.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com