[lug] DBA Q

Paul Walmsley shag-blug at booyaka.com
Mon Sep 3 09:34:33 MDT 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> I see a lot of job openings for certified DBA's, especially the Oracle
> DBA's.

> I'm also curious if it is possible to take DBA exams without paying
> for someone's expensive course? Or if it is one of those long lines of
> hidden fees? Oracle is something I can actually install on Linux. A
> similar question might be for DB2.

It is possible to take the Oracle DBA tests without taking their
exorbitantly expensive classes.

To become an Oracle certified DBA, you'll need to take five tests at about
$125 a pop, or $100 a pop if you can find the discount code that Oracle
buries on their web site, <http://education.oracle.com/>.  This discount
code was "S36" last I looked.

If you'd like to get a sense of what the exam is about and what the
questions are like, you should download the free sample practice tests
that are also available on the above site.  Click on "Oracle Certified
Professional" then "Practice Tests."  The sample practice test engine is
identical to the actual test software, at least in look-and-feel, and the
questions are very representative.

You will definitely need to have some experience with Oracle to pass the
tests - although I doubt you'll need as much experience as Oracle would
like for you to have.

- Paul