[lug] IPCHAIN rule to block dynamic update from Win2K

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 13 18:42:07 MDT 2001

It uses the same ports as your DNS server, so if you block that you'll
be blocking DNS lookups also.

The only way to do it is with a proxy that tears every packet apart and
checks to see if it's a remote DNS update.

Better yet, have the moron admin running the Windows box turn them off
in the Registry.

If your CPU load is high because of them, it's probably because you're
logging all of them.  Unfortunately the only way to stop logging them on
BIND servers right now is to turn off all logging of the "security"
information in the options{} section of the config, which is probably
a Bad Thing(TM).  :-)

I've been ready to strangle a few moron Microsoft "engineers" (notice
the quotes) over this one more than once.  Not the poor schmucks who
don't know how to admin their machines, but the schmucks who added the
"feature" to DNS to tie it to DHCP updates and ALWAYS send updates
upstream to a non-participating server without making the admin TURN IT
ON.  Argh.

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>