[lug] [CLUE-Talk] On Zimmerman and the WTC attackers using PGP(fwd)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Sep 25 16:22:02 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
>
> > > politics of open source. Though I don't know anyone qualified for the
> > > task. I do know that the Washington Post is now my idea of a tabloid
> > > newspaper, and is not an unbiased source of news.
> >
> > What aspect of the politics are you interested in?
>
> Yes, that is a very important question before we can really identify a
> speaker.  Lynn Danielson did give me the name of a lawyer who I think did
> a presentation at CLUE on the legalities of the GNU licensing.  I've been
> planning on seeing if this guy would be willing to give us a talk.
>
> However, the biggest issue in BLUG right now is where we are going to be
> meeting.  Because of the security lock down at NIST there are no after
> hours public meetings allowed here anymore.  So ... any ideas?
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

I gave a reply to Evelyn Mitchell, but if the speaker is an attorney,
I'd also be interested in the direction of intellectual property
problems under open source. There has been some recent conflicts (see
broadcast 2000) where giving out open source/free software without
warranty has ended up with stockholders still (successfully) winning a
lawsuit against the author when a company went under after relying on it
(or so I hear through the grapevine...I haven't found any articles on a
specific case).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com