[lug] Netra X1

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Wed Sep 26 21:29:32 MDT 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, John Hernandez wrote:

> If it's Solaris exposure you're after (and not necessarily SPARC), go
> for Solaris x86 and save a few euros on hardware.

Solaris on x86 is a royal pain in the ass.

> To the best of my knowledge, the Blade 1000 is a very useable
> workstation, but I only have second-hand information.  The appropriate
> amount of RAM depends on the applications you run, of course.

Both Sun Blade systems are good workstations - that's what they were
designed to be.

If you want the Sun Blade 1000 to be a server, get a Sun Fire 280R. Same
machine (same motherboard, even), rackmountable, redundant supplies.

If you want the Sun Blade 100 to be a server, get a Netra X1. Same CPU,
rackmountable (1RU), and cheap.

-Ian

--

If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves
upon execution.

					--Eric Jorgensen