[lug] Silly Question

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Oct 4 10:02:40 MDT 2001

Thus spoke Shannon Johnston
> Here's a silly question - I just realized I've never done it before.
> How do you share drives between linux machines?

NFS is the most likely answer.  Servers export filesystems via the
/etc/exports file (man 5 exports) while clients mount those filesystems
locally with a command like "mount -t nfs ...".  You can also add mount
options for NFS servers in your client systems /etc/fstab file.

I use this quite a bit, though it doesn't work well between RH 6.2 and Red
Hat 7.1 boxes.  As far as I can tell, the problem is that a RH 6.2 server
gets confused by the 7.1 requests and causes the 7.1 clients to lock up.
NFS between 7.1 boxes works fine.  NFS was notorious for being problematic
in earlier distributions though it worked fine for my old RH6.2 network.
I've heard that with the 2.4 kernels and distributions the problems are
fewer.  I need to finish upgrading all my boxes to 7.1 from 6.2 to verify
that.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |  When someone asks you, "A penny for your
The Graphics Muse           |  thoughts," and you put your two cents in, what