[lug] volume level in mp3/ogg files

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 11 10:07:00 MDT 2001

I don't know of any way to do it without going back to the original wav
source and re-encoding.

One slick way would be to write a script using 'sox stat -v ...'
followed by 'sox vol ... | oggenc - -o ...' to automatically maximize
the volume without clipping and then encode on the fly.

-John

Hugh Brown wrote:

> I have recently been working on converting my cd collection to ogg files.
> Something that I have noticed is that when I play back the ogg files the
> volume is much softer than for some of my mp3's even though I haven't
> changed the mixer/speaker volume while listening.
>
> When I go back and check the wav files that I create they playback at the
> same volume level as the ogg files.
>
> I would like to raise the base volume of the encoded files.  Anyone have
> any suggestions?
>
> Hugh

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
  |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |