[lug] math plots, gnuplot, octave

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Oct 25 21:47:22 MDT 2001

I'm interested in finding a way to generate some graphs, basically
curves like bezier. gnuplot seems to be able to do this, though my
current means via editing a file is a bit awkward (it can be done
interactively as well, but this is even less convenient). I'm not sure
if gnuplot can work in 3D, e.g., display of a bezier surface, I'm
looking to do this as well (long ago I had a student edition of
Mathematica, but it expired). If I set terminal to latex, I can generate
some for of latex output, but so far I haven't figured out what I'm
missing (running latex on the generated file fails...I'm thinking I have
to embed this file inside another). Can anyong give me an idea of 3D
plots are possible in gnuplot? Or how to process the TeX output for
image creation? Maybe alternate means of creating graphics output with
the goal being images, postscript, or pdf?

I guess octave is a high level system that uses gnuplot, other than
that, I'm not sure what to expect from it, I'm wondering if anyone here
has any experience with it for interactive use?

Any favorite URL's for these subjects?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com