[lug] sound

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Oct 27 21:28:27 MDT 2001

Taz wrote:

> Does anybody know how to find out what is occupying the sound stuff.
> I can't get any
> sound out of my computer the last day or so.  I can't unload the
> modules or anything
> else.  Also, I can't figure out what is taking up the resources.  I
> keep getting the
> "device or resource busy" message, but there's nothing I can find
> that's using them.
> Any ideas?  Thanks.
> Jeff

To start with, what kind of sound card is it? And what kernel version?
Has anything been changed recently? Next, is it supported by module or
compiled in? List the output of "lsmod". Most likely this is a PCI slot
card, if so, list the contents of /proc/pci. Possibly showing
/proc/interrupts could also help. But most of all, are there any bootup
messages? (see dmesg and /var/log/ files)

If you are running in graphical mode with X11, try instead going to
console mode ("init 3" as root if this is Redhat, as well as a few other
distros). Then take a very small file, and do "cat whatever > /dev/dsp"
and see if any sound comes out.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com