[lug] sendmail not accepting

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 31 10:38:02 MST 2001

On a mostly fresh install of RH 7.2 I'm unable to send email to this
machine.  I can send mail from this machine to this machine, just not
from another machine.  If I run the following command :

~>telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 space.srrb.noaa.gov ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6; Wed, 31 Oct 2001
10:34:06 -0700

If I run:
~>telnet space 25
Trying 140.172.144.174...
telnet: connect to address 140.172.144.174: Connection refused

So I guess sendmail is working, but for some reason it is not accepting
connections to the machine name.  I feel like it must be how I've set up
networking, but I've tried a bunch of different things there with no
luck.  I have also tried the "no firewall" setting.

Cheers,
Gary