[lug] Redhat doesn't support users that compile their own kernels.

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Nov 2 12:15:15 MST 2001

Thus spoke D. Stimits
> They seem to be refusing to consider this unless I run a RH kernel,
> which I cannot do since I have XFS. However, other people have also

So you're using your own kernel on a unsupported filesystem?  I gotta go
with Red Hat on this one too.

While you have found an issue that should be addressed, you have to view
from their point of view of resources:

1. It's not a show stopper - work can continue.  Result:  no developer will
   get assigned to it immediately.

2. It's minor and no fix is provided by you:  Requires someone assigning it
   to a developer to track it down and fix.  Result:  it gets stuck at the
   bottom of a growing queue and will never be looked at.  Cleaning out
   that queue is the job of a project manager - who is graded by how fast that
   queue shrinks - and removing minor bugs that can be offloaded as "not our
   problem" is the fastest way to do that.

3. A tester can apply a user supplied patch on his own and try the result.
   If it works, he can hand it directly to a developer for checkin (after a
   quick check to make sure it doesn't break any security, which a minor fix
	like this won't).  Result: the problem is addressed without going
   through scheduling.

So supply the fix you deem appropriate in a new bug report.  It has a much
better chance of being included because it won't require scheduling a
developer to track it down.

Note that it's irrelevent if the bug is easy to find.  In fact, the easier
it is to find the less likely anyone will be assigned to look for it.
Developers are paid big bucks to fix big problems.  Little problems get
fixed as time permits.  At least that's how it's always worked in all the
software shops I've worked in (and that's quite a few, actually - and
looking for yet another *sigh*).
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   Democracy is a beautiful thing, except for that