[lug] Weird DNS problems

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Nov 11 00:05:54 MST 2001

Here's how my nameserver got your old IP address, Chip...

First it goes to the GTLD servers to find your authoritative
nameservers... those are listed as york.jymis.com and disk.jymis.com...
BUT...

In the root servers it finds an A record for "pupman.com" since it used
to be listed as a nameserver for the domain.

You can either update the A record in the roots/gtld's or have it
removed so that nameservers can follow the delegation down to
york.jymis.com and dick.jymis.com to get the proper answer of
63.225.119.186 instead of 199.45.150.249.

If you're using NSI/Verisign as your registrar, fill out the HOST change
form for the server record for pupman.com and change the IP there, or if
it really isn't a nameserver anymore, ask them to delete the record.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com