[lug] [CLUE-Tech] Super Computing Event: SC2001 (fwd)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Nov 13 10:47:55 MST 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > Still it is interesting. Linux clusters for modeling DNA would be a
> > kick-*ss job.
>
> How about weather forecasting?  Chuck Morrison had some flyers about a
> possible job availability on the NOAA Jet cluster
> <http://lwn.net/2000/features/FSLCluster/> at last weeks meeting.  I
> remember that you were in attendance, did you get one of those?  Chuck
> might be able to point you to the relevant URL.

I did, but unfortunately I don't have all of the skills. I don't
remember the exact problems, but I know it wanted some scripting
language experience I don't have or know. For example, I suppose I
should learn PERL, and improve my bash skills. Hmm, I think it also
required Fortran. I'm really a C/C++ person at heart; I can learn any of
the requirements, but most of these jobs do not allow one to "learn as
you go". The whole arena of scientific computing is interesting, often
it requires specialized skills though, I wish there were more ways to
work into these fields.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com