[lug] working with scp and older ssh

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Nov 22 23:51:16 MST 2001

I'm wanting to use my more modern ssh (openssh with v1 and v2, default
v2) with a Sun machine that is a bit "quirky". I can ssh in via
something similar to:
ssh -t -2 -l <myloginname> whereever.com

I'm trying to use scp though, and am having problems getting the "-o"
option to pass parameters to ssh. Basically, if I just do scp without
special parameters passed to ssh, I get this (I have -v for verbose):
Executing: program /usr/bin/ssh host whereever.com, user myloginname, \
           command scp -v -t ~
myloginname at whereever.com's password: <I enter pass here>
mesg: cannot stat
scp: warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.
scp: FATAL: Executing ssh1 in compatibility mode failed \
     (Check that scp1 is in your PATH).
lost connection

I don't have scp1, I have only scp. I've tried a symbolic link to scp
named scp1, and made sure my shell had it in the path (I'm using RH 7.1
btw). If I try to use the scp option "-o" to force anything at all, even
the "-2" (I tried several different variations on this), it always says
a variation on:
  command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: 2
(in that case I tried "-o 2")

It appears to me that there is absolutely no "-o" option of any kind
from the entire list of ssh options that it will accept. *All* of them
are rejected as bad configuration option, with or without the dash, with
or without a space separating, with or without quotes (single or double)
around the option I try to pass. Since ssh works, can someone give me a
hint how to force scp to work also? My ssh version on RH is openssh
2.9p2 (which is conveniently also firewalled against all but a few
explicitly accepted IP's).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com