[lug] Generic idle timeout mechanism?

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan_lists at netmeme.org
Thu Nov 29 16:59:16 MST 2001

I have users coming into my box via SSH, where they are immediately
directed to run a specific bash script (which in turn starts up a
console program I wrote). They never get a bash prompt.

I need to automatically timeout some users if they don't do anything for
5 minutes. Other users, however (like me), I need to allow them to sit
idle as long as they like.

Is there a generic program for Linux that I can run as a background task
in each user's shell space, which does a timeout check and automatic
logout if the timeout is exceeded? Ideally it should let me set the
timeout as a command-line parameter, so that I can vary it per user as
needed.

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bryan