[lug] Replacing leased cable modem with @Home?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Dec 1 08:36:48 MST 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:38:04PM -0500, Jeff wrote:
>I would wait until next week at least.  Excite at home has gone under and
>AT&T hasn't been able to strike a deal that would allow the biz to stay
>open...

Indeed...  Our cable modem is out this morning, but it looks like simply an
@home routing problem.  This'll be the second outage we've had on it in the
6 months or so we've had it though.

The letter I got made it sound like if they couldn't reach a deal with
Excite at home, they'd switch us over to AT&T broadband, but I don't fully
understand what that means.  They're SUPPOSED to call before the
excite at home goes out to switch us if that's the case though.

>> will still work. I am looking for other peoples' experiences with this type
>> of hardware. BTW, my current cable modem is a ComPort 21.

We have the Motorola SurfBoard, which we are leasing with the service.
Which will have turned out to be really smart if they have to pull the
plug.  ;-)  It works fine with Linux, it's got an ethernet port.

Sean
--
 I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in
 my body.  Then I realized who was telling me this.  -- Emo Phillips