[lug] Replacing leased cable modem with @Home?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Dec 7 15:34:48 MST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 11:52, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

On a large 250 machine network of ham radio hobbyists I'm involved with,
many of the owners of nodes that are on AT&T @Home are now seeing 1
*HOUR* lease times on DHCP.

Luckily, our application checks the machine's IP and sends it to a
central server once every 10 minutes or so, but our number of IP address
updates has gone up dramatically -- it would appear that AT&T is going
to attempt to annoy anyone running servers off the network.

Supposedly you can still get static IP's again someday (those just
stopped working completely, of course in many areas...) but they're not
set up to handle them yet, nor are they willing to work with anyone who
had them.

Of course, all this is second-hand, but it would appear they're doing
their best to run off all their customers who have a clue.

Nate, nate at natetech.com