[lug] Cd burner recommendations

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 08:28:41 MST 2001

I don't know much about burners in general, but I have a Yamaha
CRW2100EZ (16x write/10x re-write/40x read)

http://yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gHDR00007CRW2100EZ

I have gotten this to work under both Linux and Windows 2000 (as well as
reading under NT 4.0) with no problems.  However, I have never
successfully burned a CD-R at 16x--it invariably craps out and I end up with
a partially written disc.  It's also *LOUD* when reading at 40x.  I have
hardwood floors and can hear it from the room below in the basement.
It's loud enough to drown out my mp3's--I have to use a drive on another
machine.  My folks have one too.  I was able to hear it over the phone while
talking to my mother.  Well, you get the picture...

As for software, I use cdrecord to burn under Linux.  I was unable to
find any free software for burning under Windows, so I ended up getting
Nero's software for about $50.  There may be more intuitive
applications, but once you get the hang of it, it gets the job done very
nicely.

Dhruva

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:16:40AM -0700, quoth BOF: