[lug] attbi @Home blues

Rick Casey caseyh at colorado.edu
Sun Dec 30 13:47:37 MST 2001

Well, I'm finally back on line too. Basically took the assistence of a
persistent AT&T tech. Spent 1 hr waiting in the queue, then spend 1 hr
troubleshooting the problem in Windoz. Had to use a Win98 utility off
the install CD that forces the release of automatically obtained IP
address; then, when all else failed, much to my chagrin, we were able to
obtain an IP address from the DHCP server once I took out the Linksys
switch that I had between my computer and the cable modem (!).

So, I took the TCP/IP info from Windoz, put it into Linux, the critical
info being a new entry in the /etc/resolv.conf file for the ATT DNS
server. This was cheating a bit, since I didn't use DHCP to get
connected; but, hey, it worked!

Must say that the AT&T tech named Tim up in Vancouver, BC was quite
helpful...

--Rick Casey
| Rick Casey       Professional Research Assistant |
| CADSWES              http://cadswes.colorado.edu |
| University of Colorado at Boulder                |
| caseyh at colorado.edu            work 303.735.3670 |