[lug] Trying to get a second hard drive up

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jan 11 15:16:01 MST 2002

BOF wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have put in my computer a second hard drive, taken from another system.
>
> In its previous life, it was a primary (first) drive, with KRUD 7.0 on
> it. The file /etc/lilo.conf was written for /dev/hda, with root as
> dev/hda6. (The boot partition was /dev/hda1, with / and its child
> directories on /dev/hda6).
>
> Now it is configured as the slave drive on the first IDE controller, and
> the system sees it during boot up as the second drive.
>
> In the computer where the drive now lives, I have FreeBSD on the first
> drive. When the system boots, I can use the FreeBSD boot loader to tell
> it to run the OS (KRUD 7.0) on the second drive.  If I select the second
> drive to boot, LILO begins to load, and then fails with LI-.
>
> I was able to use the KRUD disk #1 and boot into the "linux rescue"
> mode, and then mount to the / partition on the second drive as /dev/hdb6.
>
> I modified /etc/lilo.conf to use
>
>     boot=/dev/hdb

I would guess that you do not want the second drive boot record on the
MBR. You should probably point it at a partition boot record now, rather
than the boot record of the entire drive. If your /boot/ is hda1, then
change it from hdb to hdb1. Run lilo. Then set your pointer in the BSD
boot loader (I've never used it, don't know how it works) to point at
the partition boot record for the hdb1 /boot/ partition instead of hdb
as a whole.

> and
>
>     image=/vmlinuz
>         label=redhat
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/hdb6
>
> and was able to write these changes to /etc/lilo.conf.
>
> But when I tried to run /sbin/lilo -v, I got an error message "cannot
> open /dev/hdb".

If you set the jumper on the drive to make it a slave, and it is on a
new cable to a separate controller, this might be incorrect. To be a
slave it must be the second drive on a cable with a master. If you have
2 drives and they are on different controllers, neither will be a slave.
I think an IDE cd rom drive can work as a master or slave also. Been a
long time since I played with IDE though, I'm a bit rusty (scsi is so
nice!).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com