[lug] Maxima

Rob Judd rjudd at mlug.missouri.edu
Sat Jan 26 13:24:30 MST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

> * D. Stimits (stimits at idcomm.com) wrote:
> > Is it free? I'd be tempted to download it and learn it. If I had the
> > money to go back to school I'd LOVE to. Being out of work is one way to
> > not afford it.
> >
> Yup, it is GPL.  That is a recent thing, I guess.  But the DOE finally
> allowed it to be released that way.  Here is a link:
>
> http://www.ma.utexas.edu/maxima.html

Just as an aside, Bill Schelter died in the summer of 2001.  He had an
emacs interface to it that would allow you to type in "notebooks" with
examples and problems.  Students could go through these, evaluate
various expressions and have the results displayed in the same box in the
emacs window.  It was superceded later - it was too complicated to use
except for emacs power-users - I forget by what.

Cheers, Rob