[lug] Personal Daemons

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jan 26 16:49:55 MST 2002

Paul Hardiman wrote:

> Hi.
> I was wondering if anybody has done any work or has any thoughts dealing
> with starting and stopping user daemons like esd and oafd in the context
> of a session?
>
> We seem to understand how to manage daemons for boot and shutdown, but I
> don't recall
> anything similar for when a user logs in or out.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Hardiman
> InterMedia, Inc.

I think the reason for a daemon is that the system runs it and all users
can use it. Individuals don't shut off or start daemons. Often they are
run as some special system account without login privileges, or with
limited permissions, for security reasons. Daemons that are part of X11
would naturally run only if X11 is started, if you do so via startx,
your startx probably has to be modified to start the right daemon; using
runlevels (e.g., "init 5" to go to graphical runleve on redhat) should
result in the proper rc init scripts running. Is there a specific reason
you want to shut off a daemon? Normally it should be considered a system
service isolated from normal users (at least for start and stop...using
its service is normally allowed for all regular users).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com