[lug] KDE Application Slowness

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sun Jan 27 09:12:05 MST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 08:48:22AM -0700, Chip Atkinson wrote:
> It's likely a name resolution problem.  Can you get dns responses from
> your nameservers?
> Chip

I agree, it could be a DNS related problem.
It alsmost sounds like gnumeric tries to access some resource on the
net but i just checked my version of the application (using ethereal)
and can't see any network access suring startup.
Another cause of problems might be the content of your DISPLAY environment
variable. Does it point to a hostname (i.e. 'foo.bar.com:0.0') or to an
IP address (i.e. '127.0.0.1:0.0'). In case of a host name there's an aditional
name resolution step involved that might fail. Since most ppp/network startup
scripts touch/modify /etc/resolv.conf and/or /etc/nsswitch.conf this might
be the cause of your problems.
To test do the following:

 cat /etc/resolv.conf > /tmp/s1.txt & cat /etc/nsswitch.conf >> /tmp/s1.txt

then start up your ppp connection. Then:

 cat /etc/resolv.conf > /tmp/s2.txt & cat /etc/nsswitch.conf >> /tmp/s2.txt

and then:

  diff /tmp/s1.txt /tmp/s2.txt

What happens if you start gnumeric from an xterm with the following command:

 gnumeric --display 127.0.0.1:0.0

 Ralf Mattes