[lug] Blocking SPAM and Viruses

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Feb 7 14:24:22 MST 2002

I have set up several sites using Amavis

http://www.amavis.org/

along with McAfee anti-virus scan for Linux. I wrote my own shell script to
get the dat files automatically. It really works well.

For spam blocking I have been setting up SpamBouncer

http://www.spambouncer.org/

The only down side that I can point out about SpamBouncer is that it is a
keyword/heuristic approach. Therefore, some things that shouldn't get
filtered do. It works by putting filtered message into separate folders
(spam.incoming, block.incoming). This means that your users have to be using
IMAP to get to those filtered folders to retrieve the odd messages that go
in there.