[lug] off topic, spam laws

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Sun Feb 10 22:32:23 MST 2002

On Sunday 10 February 2002 09:23 pm, D. Stimits wrote:
> I am considering trying to get some legislation passed that would make
> it a criminal offense to forge headers during commercial advertisement.

I think that criminalizing theft of service would make more sense.  I was
posting to this list with forged headers for a while, because I was out of
town and had to use a different ISPs SMTP server.  I'm afraid that
"commercial" and "advertisement" would get too blurry, and forging headers is
often a legitimate thing to do.  You also avoid any first amendment issues.
(Would this equate to giving a fake name while handing out leaflets on a
street corner?  Is that protected speech?)

The biggest part of the problem is open relays and people who abuse them.
This is sort of covered by Rob's post about RBL.  Beyond RBL, it would be
less attractive to steal service in this way if it was an actual crime with
actual enforcement.

This wouldn't stop spam, but it would largely change the economics.

Of course a key factor is that people wouldn't send spam if they didn't make
money doing it.  So to some extent it is "our" fault as consumers for making
it profitable.

> The Constitition [sic] says one of our most fundamental rights is the right
> to be
> left alone, I do not believe the issue is as trivial or petty as it sounds.

Could you provide a reference for that?  The closest thing I can think of is
fourth amendment right "of the people to be secure in their persons, houses,
papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures" which
protects us from our own government, but certainly not foreign businesses.

(As a side note, there seems to be an apocryphal popular belief in a "right
to privacy" provision in the Constitution, which is used to buttress
"abortion rights."  If anyone has a reference, let me know.)

I don't think that the spam problem is trivial or petty, either, but I hardly
think it violates our Constitutional protections.

-Peter