[lug] Weird mail/firewall problem

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Feb 13 11:23:58 MST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 10:59:01AM -0700, Chip Atkinson wrote:
> Is there a tool that allows you to send different kind of packets across a
> network?  In a sense, kind of a firewall tester.  Is this perhaps what
> satan and other network tools do?  I've never really played with them
> (yet).
>
> It would be nice to have something that says "can't get icmp must fragment
> but don't fragment bit is set messages.  May cause problems"
>
> CHip

Yes, there is, it's called 'hping'. I'm on my way out of the office, if
you or "D." can't find more info on it send me a mail, i'll try to dig out
more references for it. I think the tool has it's own website (www.hping.org ?).
BTW, this _can_ be used as a nasty tool (read: carefull where you install it.
You don't want to be the source of the next DOS attack).

  Ralf