[lug] SCSI disk info

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Wed Feb 27 08:46:05 MST 2002

Yes, the sector size is what's killing you.  If you have an Adaptec SCSI
controller lying around for a PC, you might try the low level format in the
BIOS of the controller.  I can't remember if this used to work or not, but
my belly seems to say yes.

STK used to do this to their disks in their arrays, so when I was at that
account, we used to mooch test disks off of the engineers and use them for
our own evil deeds.  We had to have them low level formatted back to 512
before they were useful (STK made them 514, if I remember correctly).
Usually the engineers would hook the disk up to their proprietary stuff that
would do the reformat, but I seem to remember that a few times they didn't
and I tried the low level option in the Adaptec BIOS with success.  It'll
take a few hours, but it's worth the try.