[lug] 802.11b wireless

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Feb 28 14:35:38 MST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, sanders wrote:

> I have just set up a cobination similar to this.  Another item needed is
> your access point to bring you into the network.  If your needing others
> to look at your system, it'd be possible to do a peer-to-peer without
> needing an access point unit.  If you have your NIC plugged into their
> network you could also be the access point for other wireless too.  To
> do peer to peer they should all be set to "adhoc".

OK ... it is the access point that I'm not clear about.  If I'm reading
this correctly it sounds like I could just plug the pcmcia wireless card
into a laptop and plug the laptop into the network.  As long as the card
is configured as adhoc it would then work as the access point?  Would
there need to be any routing software installed on the laptop?

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

                        ISART 2002
    International Symposium on Advanced Radio Technologies
      http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/index.html