[lug] 802.11b wireless

Warren Sanders sanders at montanalinux.org
Thu Feb 28 14:37:24 MST 2002

J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, sanders wrote:
>

>>I have just set up a cobination similar to this.  Another item needed is
>>your access point to bring you into the network.  If your needing others
>>to look at your system, it'd be possible to do a peer-to-peer without
>>needing an access point unit.  If you have your NIC plugged into their
>>network you could also be the access point for other wireless too.  To
>>do peer to peer they should all be set to "adhoc".
>>

> OK ... it is the access point that I'm not clear about.  If I'm reading
> this correctly it sounds like I could just plug the pcmcia wireless card
> into a laptop and plug the laptop into the network.  As long as the card
> is configured as adhoc it would then work as the access point?  Would
> there need to be any routing software installed on the laptop?

On Linux I would presume you could do MASQUERAD.  On Windows you would
need some software.  On the other hand Windows will need two separate
networks since it won't look at both sides of the same net at the same time.

I looked into installing this wireless card on Linux but from what I
found was it's not stable.  I have only done this with windows using the
access point off the hub.  My Linux box was on the wired network side.

--
Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org