[lug] OT (kinda): RF Stuff -- Was: cheap 802.11b for linux...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 21 09:49:18 MST 2002

Rob Nagler wrote:

>>The sputnik stuff, a D-Link card mixed with with a TNC connector on the back
>>based on the Prism II chipset (D-link makes a PCI Prism II chipset card with
>>a real honest to goodness professional RF connector on it, amazingly
>>enough.)   Then...
>>

>Is this an RP-TNC?  I bought 10 of these, if anybody wants to do
>experimenting.   They are about $8 each, and amazingly hard to find.
>I bought mine from http://www.pasternack.com/ but they have a minimum
>order of $100.

Not sure.  The guy who told me about them is out of town, but I think
so.  ;-)

By the way, Sputnik doesn't quite support them yet, the ones we were
looking at were PCI, again -- not yet supported.

>>A little hardline, N-connectors, SHORT coax jumpers (the loss out of coax at
>>2.4 Ghz is incredible) and a soldering gun to make it all play... and a
>>vertical antenna... voila... neighborhood 802.11b.
>>

>Well, it is not so easy in my experience.  When the current Ice Age is
>over, I'll be climbing on my roof to see if it works better higher up.

The important part is to minimize coax runs and get the expensive and
much higher quality hardline or "heliax" cable, which is rather large.
 Typical hardline dimensions are anywhere from 5/8" diameter to stuff
that's an 1 5/8" (!).

I play with this stuff a lot doing ham radio stuff, and I can't stress
enough that good quality cable and connectors must be used at
frequencies above UHF.  Plus if it's going to be outside in the weather,
you do need to learn how to properly weatherproof the connectors, and
stuff like that.

>Does anybody know where I can buy antenna mounts?  I've got a vertical
>which I could mount to the roof, but I think five feet would give me
>better range.  A good source for cheap grounding cable would be
>appreciated, too. 8-)

There are lots of different kinds of mounts.  Ham Radio Outlet here in
Denver might be a good option, or there are lots of mail order places
for everything from the standard Rat Shack 10' poles and cheesy mounting
hardware all the way to "it won't blow down in a 200 mile an hour wind
gust when the tornado passes by" variety.  :-)

>Also, where does one by surplus Russian military antennas?  I keep
>reading about them, but haven't found a cheap source for them.

Never heard of this...

Nate