[lug] DNS problems

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Apr 2 13:20:38 MST 2002

On 2 Apr 2002, Tkil wrote:

> test those nameservers (that KPPP fetched) to make sure they're
> functioning.  (maybe using "nslookup", although "dig" and "host" are
> supposed to replace it eventually.)

OK, will have to try that.

I did tell my wife that it "might" be possible that the DNS servers she
was using could be down.  She told me later that she tested that by
rebooting her windows partition to see if DNS was working there.  That
seemed to be OK.

> try a known good nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf, after you've
> connected.

I did try manually entering the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf, but once
KPPP started up it duplicated the entries.  I didn't try a known good
nameserver.  Any you'd recommend?

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)