[lug] DNS problems

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Tue Apr 2 14:09:11 MST 2002

>>>>> "Wayde" == J Wayde Allen <wallen at lug.boulder.co.us> writes:

Wayde> I did try manually entering the nameservers in
Wayde> /etc/resolv.conf, but once KPPP started up it duplicated the
Wayde> entries.

i actually meant for you to modify resolv.conf *after* kppp was up and
running... but if those same server entries work under windows, that's
probably not the cause.

i agree with whoever said that it was probably a firewalling issue;
the KRUD firewall stuff will punch holes for nameservers, but only at
boot time (i think).

doing "ipchains --list" as root gives me this, on my 7.2 box:

| ACCEPT  udp  ------  phobos.frii.com  anywhere  domain -> 1025:65535
| ACCEPT  udp  ------  free.tummy.com   anywhere  domain -> 1025:65535
| ACCEPT  udp  ------  ns1.tummy.com    anywhere  domain -> 1025:65535

a handy debugging tool for this is to turn on logging of all rejected
packets.  sure, it's a pile of data, but disk space is cheap.  you can
turn on logging by adding "-l" flags to the "reject" rules in
/etc/sysconfig/ipchains.

Wayde> I didn't try a known good nameserver.  Any you'd recommend?

i remember one from college: dns1.nmsu.edu: 128.123.3.5

t.