[lug] Creating audio CDs

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Apr 10 16:53:12 MDT 2002

* Ronald Kumon (ronkumon at yahoo.com) wrote:
> cdda2wav -D 2,0,0 -g -v2 -O wav -t 1 -S 48 -i 1 -P 0 -n 75 /usr/image
>
> I have found that it has been taking 1.5 to 2 hours to do the conversion
> of these 2.5 to 3.5 minute tracks.  Is this typical? I have a 48X speed
> IDE CD-ROM writing to a SCSI Ultra 3 hard drive on a dual Pentium III 9333
> MHz machine with 1 GB RAM (the IDE drive is running under SCSI emulation).
> By default, the sectors for overlap sampling is set to zero, and the
> sectorburst is set to 75.  Is there a way to speed this up?  Is there a

So you have a 9 GHz Pentium III.  Where did you get that? :-)

That seems *very* slow to me.  I use cdparanoia, though.  With that
tool, cdparanoia --batch rips a whole CD, generally takes somthing like
half an hour.  This is with an Athlon 1.2 Ghz, IDE disk, old 4x/2x/4x CD
burner.  And supposedly cdparanoia is *slower* than cdda2wav, because it
does extra checking.  I am not sure why it would be so slow.

Tim