[lug] wireless points in Boulder

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Apr 11 14:48:38 MDT 2002

Warren Sanders wrote:
<snip>
> Most modern access points have the ability to allow access to only
> authorized mac addresses.  Is this method equal or less secure these
> days, or has it been comprimised already too?
>
> On that note, can one easily hack their nic to change their mac address?
>  I guess all your money riding solely on this measure would not be
> advisable if mac address are being spoofed.

The 802.11b systems actually allow for software defined mac addresses.
Unlike wired ethernet there seem to be numerous little apps that let you
sniff other user's MAC addresses and then simply send your own packets
with those sniffed MAC addresses.  Your idea had been one of my hopes as
well but no luck here.

Ferdinand
--
Ferdinand Schmid