[lug] [BLUG-ANNOUNCE] April 11, 2002 - Boulder Linux User Group Meeting

rise rise at knavery.net
Fri Apr 12 03:10:20 MDT 2002

For anyone who's interested, the suppliers for the minty-green
networking box I had are:

net4501 w/case and power supply (serial, 3 10/100 Ethernet port)	$247
vpn1211 hardware crypto accelerator[0] (Mini-PCI Type III)		 $85
    Soekris Engineering (Soren Kristensen)
    http://www.soekris.com/

DWL-520 low-voltage PCI 802.11b card					 $99
    D-Link Systems					 (retail, no rebate)
    http://www.d-link.com/products/wireless/dwl520/

The hardware crypto and anything more than 32 MB of CF[1] are luxuries
(heck, if you want to do a PXE net-boot you can drop the flash entirely),
so you can build a general purpose wireless gateway, router, and firewall
for about $375.

[0] Actually it does hardware compression as well, thought that's
    probably a bit less cool for most people.

[1] Compact flash is available in smaller and cheaper sizes and is
    more durable (shock, temperature & moisture all), the IBM
    Microdrive is intended for a different project in the long run.
    If for some ungodly reason you really feel the need for a gig of
    storage on a gateway be prepared to spend about $300 and be deeply
    paranoid every time you pick it up.

Jonathan Conway						      rise at knavery.net
history is paling & my surge protection failed, & so I FRIED
						- Concrete Blonde, "Fried"