[lug] Self Destruct?

Fred Robinson fred.robinson at sipfusion.com
Sat Apr 13 11:40:17 MDT 2002

Ok, so this is probably an unsual inquiry but I have an interest in
acquiring an application or diskette image that is bootable, that will boot
a PC into DOS, and automatically kickoff off a batch file, or virus for that
matter, that will render the hard drive unbootable or unreadable, that is of
course until desktop support repairs the disk by reformatting and
re-installing the O/S.  Has anyone seen something like this?

Why do I want such a destructive application or disk image?
I want to be able to scuttle my laptop if necessary, and I want it to be
quick and effortless.  Just execute an application or plug the floppy in,
reboot, and it's finished.

Recently I was terminated from a job, unsuspecting of course.  I was frantic
to delete EVERYTHING on the machine.  It was a dual bootable machine, Win2K
and Linux.  From Win2K I first tried to format
C:\ but since I didn't have the Administrator login it wouldn't allow me to
do this.  So I went about trying to delete everything piece by piece.  Of
course I'm still not certain I deleted all my intellectual property, but I
got most of it.  Then there is the issue of the Linux partition.  I didn't
have time to blast it.  I had little time to sanitize the machine so I
banked on the PC techs lack of knowledge of Linux, that he wouldn't know how
to crack the password and login, so I left the Linux partition as it was.
However, in the future, I would like the ability to simply execute an
application or hit the power/reset button, boot a floppy, and not have to
worry about anyone having access to something I may have left
behind..........

Thoughts.........