[lug] ssh compression

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed May 1 10:20:11 MDT 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:04:00PM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
> I am doing an over the net backup of a mail server over an ssh tunnel.
> The bandwidth that it is consuming is killing me.  Is there any way to
> throttle it down?  Would using the compression option in ssh help me or
> hurt me (the man page says it would slow it down, but I don't know if
> that means less bandwidth, longer download or same bandwidth, longer
> download).

It would reduce the _amount_ of data transfered, so your bandwidth will
be consumed over a shorter period of time. It will probably slow down
the transfer a bit, unless you have fast boxes that don't need a lot of
processing power for other tasks.
To reduce bandwith you might want to look at the traffic shapeing capabilities
of newer kernels. BTW, depending on your needs 'rsync' might be a good
option (only transfer what changed. Since mailboxes usually only grow in
one direction rsync can transfer only the changed (read new) parts of the
file).

  Ralf