[lug] OT: Veritas volume mgr and fs

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Fri May 17 08:50:02 MDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Ken Weinert wrote:

> I've not had personal experience with it here, but I talked with a couple of
> the admins and there are two things to note:
>
> 1) we are using it for backups

That would be Veritas' Netbackup. In its current form (3.4) it is very
clunky. It is supposed to be hot stuff with the new release (4.5) that
was supposed to be shipped by now to current customers. We have not seen
it arrive yet.

> 2) we'd like to move away from it if we could find something better

There are other alternatives out there. I just do not know what they are.

> I'm not sure exactly how to interpret that last remark, but perhaps if you're
> interested and they're willing I could put you in touch with them via email
> to ask a more specific question or two.

I think he was referring to Volume Manager not Netbackup. Volume Manager
helps you manage disk. Netbackup is for the backups. I said it in the previous
email. If I have the choice I would not do storage work without it. It is
easy to install, configure and help with system recovery (in my opinion).

Later,

Bill