[lug] [OT] Quick Python question

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Thu Jun 6 08:56:58 MDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:43:46AM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 10:21, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> >
> > Given a file 'blub.data' holding Macintosh-encoded text data,
> > what is the most elegant way of reading it into a unicode string?
> >
> >  Ralf Mattes

Thanks for the answer. Jep, there are a lot of nice Mac-Support apps
out ther (i usually use GNU recode, fantastic encoding support if you
ever need EBCDIC-Islandic ;-) Unfortunately, i need to read the data
from within a python extension (that calls another python extension of
mine that wants utf8) that walks through a whole week of newspaper articles
to inport them into a CMS. I'd like to avoid piping through external
apps if possible at all (i have a C app that converts the proprietary
export format which does the conversion using the GNU recode lib and
i'm happy to write my owm python wrapper that does the task but i
imagine there must be a python way to do it).

  Ralf